Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Makings of a Summer Camp-aholic

Those of you who know me know I LOVE summer camp. I attended camp of all types and fashions - girl scouts, community college, art, tennis, scripture, bible school - you name it, I wanted to be a part of it! So, I just couldn't resist enrolling Sebastian in Science Camp at the Rochester Museum of Science. I know, I know - but once a nerd, always a nerd and why not pass on some of that to my boys. They can handle it. =) We are two days into Science Camp. It's a mommy and me program for two hours every morning this week. Our theme is Moving and Grooving so each day's activities focus on a different aspect of the theme. I was unsure of how Sebastian would react, but he has loved almost every second of camp. Today he didn't want to leave. Enjoy some of the pictures from the past few days. I'll do another post with the second part of the week.

Sebastian's classroom. The Science Center has its own charter school and pre-school, so they have great facilities for the kids.

Day one was things that move up and down. They started the morning playing with balloons and putting different toys into the cups tied to the balloons to see if they went up or down. This was a huge hit. Here, his teachers Miss Julia and Miss Eleanor show how hot water stays up and cold water goes down as all the kids watch - they were all pretty fascinated.

They made paper airplanes and gliders and had flying races outside.

Then it was playground time - what a neat playground. Lots of really unusual and fun equipment -none of it what you would typically find at a playground.

This little tram that the kids crank so it moves. Sebastian's favorite. You can see Matteo chilling in the stroller in the background. He has done great the past few days and is fascinated watching his brother and all the action or sleeping most of the time during class.

In the play house.

Day two - during free playtime he loves playing in the kitchen and with the mirror making silly faces and jumping up and down saying ribbit like a frog.

He also loves pretending he works at Wegmans. He tells me "pay, pay" so I pretend I'm buying Cheerios and I pay him, he pushes some buttons and then give me a bowl so I can serve him some. I'm like - hey! I just bought these for me! He just laughs.

He loves lining up all the little animals for a show. Now when he is done setting them up he goes "show time." Then he lays them all down to go "night night."
Today's theme was things that roll. Here he is running some toys over some straws (his conveyor belt).

Rolling his car down the race track. A big hit.

His macaroni trains he glued and painted. Tomorrow we will make necklaces with them. He actually really enjoyed this activity to my surprise and got blue paint all over his hands and my pants in the process. They say it washes out...
He loves this little spider on the door of the classroom.

A better picture of the really cool crank playground toy.

Peeking at Mami through the fort window.

The three of us after two days of camp. Sebastian just looks tired here, but he was so happy. Tomorrow we will be talking about things that move in the water. They told us to bring the kids a change of clothes....uh oh. Should be interesting.
On an exciting note, he has had so much fun that I mentioned to his teacher that I wished they had something like during the school year and she said that they did. So I called and found out that they have a "mommy and me" preschool one day a week during the fall and I can bring Matteo without any problems too. So we are all enrolled and I am so excited. I think it's going to be fantastic if it's anything like camp has been so far! More to come this weekend!

No comments: