Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Memorable Moment

Tuesday afternoon I went into Sebastian’s room as I heard him wake up from his nap. He was being all lazy and just being funny laying there as I nursed his brother and he played in his bed. When Matteo was done nursing I said to Sebastian, “do you drink “che-che” (his word for Mami milk)? Sebastian gave me that smirky smile that I recognize as the “I’m going to do the opposite of what you want me to do” smile. And he says “no!” I played his game and said, “Are you sure you don’t want che-che?!” He says “no!” louder this time as he laughed. He crawled off the bed and ran out of his bedroom.

I’m left sitting on the bed thinking, wow – this is really it, he’s really done nursing. It’s been more than a week since he last nursed. Suddenly, he runs back to the bedroom, gives his brother a loving poke and exclaims “baby che-che!” And that was that. The che-che is now his baby’s.

I’ll remember that last nursing – at night before bedtime, we read stories and said our prayers. He cuddled up to me, had his che-che and played with my ring. As much as an uphill battle as it was for me to nurse Sebastian as a baby, then dealing with the doubts, comments and uncertainties of nursing a toddler and then nursing while pregnant, I wouldn’t trade a second of it. I gave him my all and always will. I love you my guapo, nene grande (handsome, big boy!) My first baby is growing up…

Tuesday afternoon, playing with Mami and looking much too grown up.

1 comment:

darlenelg52 said...

Wow ! What happen to my baby Sebastian??? He looks to grown up in this picture. Made me want to cry. Over night he grew up!!!
Still very handsome!!!
Love you all.
Kisses to sweet Matteo too.

Love Nana