Friday, December 17, 2010

Advent - We are having fun waiting for Jesus!

It's been so nice this year to be settled in our home for Advent and Christmas. There are many traditions I hope to establish with the kids over the years. It's almost like there is so much I WANT to do, I just have to remember to reign it in, add a little each year, and keep it age appropriate. So these are some of the fun things we are doing during our four weeks of waiting for Jesus to come!

Everyday, we've been getting our Christmas cards ready for our family. They are special presents to show them how much we love them. Both boys love working on their projects. If I had any idea that Christmas card making would take up so many foam stickers and glue sticks I would have done a better job stocking up during back to school time. =)

The kids love putting stamps on the cards too....and all over themselves. =)

Our Jesse Tree. This is the first year we have done this neat tradition. Each day, we make an ornament, glue it on purple or pink paper and then hang it up. We also read the story from our Children's Bible of one of the great people in the bible that came before Jesus. As I worked to prepare our activities for the Jesse Tree this year, Paul warned me not to get too excited, especially since I was putting in so much effort to pick just the right activities. That the kids might not be too excited about it. But I've been so thrilled that both the boys have LOVED the entire process! I can't wait to add a little more next year.

This is what the ornaments look like.

Our family advent wreath, with our story of the birth of Jesus that we read each day before we blow out the candles. Sebastian was fine with doing Advent prayers before dinner, but we still have to say our regular grace too. So funny....

Our nativity felt board. Both boys like doing this after dinner. It's so funny because when we are done eating there are like all of these advent day-by-day type things that they go around the room doing. It's become quite the routine! And Sebastian will say, "when they are all gone, then it will be Christmas and Jesus will come!" Matteo can successfully tell me all the characters in the Nativity and I am working on getting him to say Merry Christmas! Let's see if he can do it soon!

Our Advent story book tree. Yes, another tree. But this one is little.

Isn't this absolutely the most adorable homemade ornament you've ever seen?! I can't take credit, he made it at school, but it is just soooo sweet!

And he was quite proud of it as he hung it on his tree. It's been really fun seeing how he's starting to understand more and more about the meaning of Christmas this year. The other day we were reading more Christmas books and he asked me how old Jesus was going to be on his birthday. I tried to explain that Jesus is forever and ever, but that we were celebrating when he was born, as a little baby. Sebastian said, "Mami, did you buy him a present yet?!" I told him no, but that we could if he wanted to. He said he wanted to buy Jesus crayons. Okay. =) It was very sweet.

Painting Advent pine cones. This was Sebastian's idea and they had so much fun doing it! I should snag some of these and save them for a Lent activity too later on!

Matteo was more interested in painting on the paper.

And then, in a natural progression, we transitioned to finger painting. Yay! Good thing I only buy washable paint!

Matteo loved finger painting. I have a feeling this activity will soon be requested every day. Oiii.

Sebastian did about 4 paintings, we let them dry and then I asked him to tell me about each one. This is the first one he painted and he told me it was our Advent wreath. Love it!


And here is Matteo's first finger painting creation. He had lots of fun!



Like I said, there is so much more I want to do with them, but little by little, we will establish all our Advent and Christmas traditions. One thing I am really excited to do this year is that I am going to wrap up all of many baby Jesus that we have that go to all our nativity scenes in different size boxes and bags. Then on Christmas we will open each one and admire and love baby Jesus before finding which Nativity scene he belongs at. Fun, times, fun times! Jesus, we are waiting for you! And loving the journey to Christmas!

1 comment:

Evie said...

Awwww such beautiful Advent fun! I love all of your activities!! It's funny how "busy" morning and evening are when you have all these little things to do! Kids love it :)